We are glad to be optimistic as this day should have ended with us in Rome...
But you can never force the weather!
And like an old MAF-pilot used to say:
"It's better to arrive too late in this life than too early in the next!"
During the day we changed our routing and watched the weather with a coldfront passing overhead.. We were almost keeping in front of it, and had already started up and were waiting for our ATC-clearance to approve us to follow the appropriate airways and stay clear of the Airliners. But our hope was in vain...
There was a mix-up with our call-sign and we were told we could not leave without sorting this out, on the ground, which meant we had to file a new flightplan which would have caused such a delay that we would have arrived in darkness, which we try to avoid as much as we can.
So we decided to taxi back to the ramp and call it a day...
Too many things went in another direction than expected: we had to find charts to buy which were not available and new airports we couldn't study in advanced etc etc and we felt pushed until the point where we decided not to go.
Another Aviation saying is;
Better be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than being in the air wishing you were on the ground!
We are on the ground wishing and praying for a good day tomorrow!! ;-)
We have decided to follow... the eastern route again via Munich, Salburg and Slovenia & Croatia.
Destination is Zadar International Airport.
We'll keep you posted!